top of page


Building Permits

Residents approved a proposed Building Ordinance by a vote of 18 to 11 at the April 8, 2008 Annual Town Meeting. This ordinance requires anyone seeking to demolish or modify the outside of their home to get a permit from Oakmont in addition to a County permit. The Oakmont permit application needs to be submitted no later than 30 days BEFORE submitting a building permit application to Montgomery County.

The Ordinance also requires posting a refundable bond to cover the cost of damage to town property during the course of construction or demolition.


To read the ordinance, see

For a building permit application, see 


Over the past several years, Montgomery County has been experiencing rapid population growth. As a means of managing growth, the County has encouraged denser development in existing neighborhoods. At the same time, consumer demand has grown for houses that are significantly larger than most homes in the County’s older neighborhoods, including Oakmont. Constructing these large homes on lots that once belonged to an adjacent house or tearing down an existing home to build a much larger one is called mansionization.

Oakmont residents have expressed concern about the effects of mansionization on the neighborhood. In the summer of 2006, the Committee conducted a survey to determine town priorities. Results of the survey showed a great deal of concern about mansionization, with the focus of that concern being on:

Effect of larger footprint on storm water run-off and the subsequent damage caused to neighbors
Effect on the mature trees in the neighborhood
Changes to the character of the neighborhood, including the effect on diversity as homes in the lower price ranges disappear


The ordinance was enacted to respond to these concerns.

Parking Permits

Oakmont manages parking on its streets with a Parking Permit provided free of charge for cars registered to Oakmont residents. Residents are also entitled to receive Visitor Permits for temporary use of people visiting them.

Both permits are available on request from the Parking Marshal. Currently, that position is held by Ella Iams who can be reached at 301-564-9537.

bottom of page